Monday, September 14, 2009

Off to a rough start

Well this past weekend was my first weekend racing collegiate MTB of the year. I was looking forward to racing and testing out my new bike. We got to Beaver Meadows were the races were held at about 1030is at night and set our tents up and went to bed. woke up early the next morning for the short track race. it was a pretty cool course. I had an ok start and felt pretty good throughout the whole race. ended up 16th or something so not too bad. Then we ate some food and went to go pre ride the XC course for Sundays race. It was a pretty cool course with some good climbing and technical descending and i was feeling confident. Saturday night was cold, with some flurries and rain. Sunday morning was a lot nicer, the sun was out and it was warming up. Lined up at the start with probably around 50 or so racers ready to pin it to get to the single track like a min up the road. It started very fast like i was expecting and 30 sec into the races this metro guy tries to squeeze through a gap which was to small and clipped the csu riders bars right in front of me and they both went down hard, had to jam on the brakes and wait for them to move and i continued on. Started chasing and was feeling good climbing. then just about when the decent was starting I was coming up to a river crossing where I was going to dismount and run across, when i was just about to get off i believe i hit some roots and went flying over the bars. Smashing my upper thigh and shoulder hard onto a rock. I tried standing up and continue racing but i tried standing and couldn't. I thought i broke or a bone or something. So i sat there on the side of the trail as everyone else was racing. i sat there for about twenty min and then Garrison came through and carried my bike across the river and i walked across the river and then sat there for about ten min until i could get on my bike. I pedaled on legged down the trail because i could not bend my left leg very well or put any pressure on it. I found a fire road and coasted the rest of the way down. I got some ice on it and just waited to leave. Today my leg hurts really bad and i cant bend it that much. It's weird there is no bruises or anything, very tender to touch too. I am hoping it feels better soon. Planing on doing the cross country mtb race this weekend in sol vista and race my first cyclocross race of the year on Sunday just really hope my leg feels better by then,. But it is still early in the cross season so if it still hurts by this weekend i will just have to rest and let it heal up.


Short Track


Short Track


Short track


XC racers


Icing my leg after the crash

No comments: