Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New level

This past weekend was my first men's 1/2 race. I was really excited to race and see how my legs were looking. This was my first race since collegiate nats. Our race started at 12:30. It was the biggest 1/2 field they have ever had. With 80 guys starting and having a Slipstream, Jelly Belly and Type 1 guy at the line I knew it was going to be a hard race and I just need to hang on. So the gun went off and I mad sure to stay top half at least. with so many corners and roundabouts I knew if I was chilling on the back I would be off before I knew it. It was an hour and fifteen min race. After a little bit a breakaway formed with non of the big names I knew, so I thought we would bring them back. After a couple laps the pace speed up to bring the break back. Wow was it fast, we didn't end up bringing them back and I don't know how we were rolling. With about five laps to go I thought I was done. I was riding on the rivet and giving everything I had. The finish was the break away with about 5 guys, then our group of about 25 or so then a bigger group behind us. I ended up 29th. Not bad for m first 1/2 race.
The biggest difference between the 3's and the 1/2's that I noticed was how smooth everyone road and didn't freak out about anything. I felt so much more comfortable . Also I noticed if you just sit up a little you go back like 20 positions. And when guys make an attack they are hard and fast and if you don't go with them right away it will take a while before you catch on.
This weekend is the State TT. I am not very good at TT but I am working on that. I am really looking forward to Saturday because two Toyota United guys start right before me. Justin England starts a min before me and then Ben Day 30 sec before me. At least they are in front of me and not behind me. It is a 38k TT.

1 comment:

Justin Rose said...

yeah... ben started a minute behind me at cascade last year and passed me very quickly going very fast. so just catch him and you win.