Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good Legs, Bad Lungs

Well this past weekend was the Colorado College crit and Air force Road race. I was really looking forward to these races because I felt so good on the bike the week before, I was riding the hills and flats very strong and was ready to really get back into it. I got a good warm up for the Crit on Saturday and felt great. My throat was dry thought. The air quality really sucked. But the race started and I wanted to get into the break. So right off the bat a CU guy went off and I went with feeling very good. Then a CSU guy jumped on and we only stayed away for a few laps but my legs felt great but I just couldn't breath it was crazy. So once the pack caught us I sat up and went straight to the back to try to catch my breath but just couldn't so I had to quit. I really don't like quiting a race but I needed to I was not getting any oxygen. The medics there said it would be best for me to go to the ER to get checked out. I really didn't want to go but am glad I went once it was over with. My plus ox was only 80 and that's pretty low. Got some drugs now and an inhaler.
Then Saturday was the RR. It was very windy but it is a fun course. I just wanted to sit in since I didn't know what my breathing would be like. The first lap was good I hung in there. Then the second lap was pretty much neutral because the pros passed us. Then once we started my legs were not ready to start up again. We stopped for a while and then started racing hard. I don't think my legs and lungs were ready for that. So i hung on for about 3 laps out of the five an dropped back. ended up 25th on the day. guess not bad considering I was in the ER the day before.
Leaving for the Gila next week,I am looking forward to that. Hope my lungs get better and my legs get stronger. We will just have to wait and see. This weekend is conference in windy Wyoming. Hope I am feel up to par to race. Time will tell.

No comments: