Sunday, March 30, 2008

Died Trying

Well what a weekend. This weekend was the Mesa collegiate racing. This was my first weekend racing feeling better. I was not sick but I just didn't have the best of legs this weekend.
Saturday was a 73 mile RR with some good climbing and I was just not feeling it. Right off the bat CSU and FLC went off the front and we just didn't think it was going to stick so we let them go. then the gap just kept on growing so I went the the front just a little bit before the down hill section and started drilling it. Then Conor came up to help me and we just were flying. No other D2 schools wanted to help so we just sat up. While we were up front pro (Nate) was sitting on the back. I got dropped on the climb every lap but chased every lap and got back on. Then on the last lap just couldn't chase back and came in a a little bit after the field. About 24th place.
Then today was the Crit in downtown Frutia. I was looking forward to this race and ready to drill it. It started off fast and I got a bad start and started in the back so had to use a lot of energy to get up front. Then I was there some guys attacked and I went with. Then they just sat up so I kept going. Used a lot of energy and got caught. Rested for a little and back up front for another attack but once again got pulled back in. Then with about 4 laps to go i got pulled. I tried early but just didn't happen. You have to die trying and that's what I did.

Conor just killed it today. Always up front and following moves also. He was the only mesa guy in the field with the last few laps to go because Pro just got tired sitting in all day and doing no work. But Conor sat on the CSU train on the last two laps. They blew apart the field but he held on. The sprint was awesome. Coming out of the last corner was 2 CSU guys and Conor. The last guy to pull on the CSU train pulled off. Phil the CSU guy thought he won it, so he put his hands up for victory but he forgot to look right and see Conor passing him for the win. You really had to be there to know how exciting it was. Beating the Crit national champion and the whole CSU train. Nice work Conor. First win for Mesa!

Next weekend is school of Mines races. Saturday it a ITT up lookout mountain. My climbing skills suck so we will see how that goes. Then Sunday is a crit. Different then last year which I am happy for. I will just have to play it smarter in that crit and hope my legs are back to get a good result.
O by the way, we had to get up this morning at 4:10 am to go to Fruita to go set up all the barriers for the crit. But at 4:15 the fire alarm went off in the dorms so I am kinda glad I was already up. I was just making my coffee and then it went off. I walked back into the room and Conor is like "did you set that off?". I just thought it was a very funny question. How the heck would I do that lol. I think my ears started bleeding it was so loud. I guess some kid just pulled it or something.

No comments: